[Samba] password synch with Active Directory and v. 2.0.9

Ryan.Worthington at westam.com Ryan.Worthington at westam.com
Thu Sep 16 16:52:56 GMT 2004

Good morning Samba mailing list.

I have found myself suddenly thrown at a Samba problem, and I have been
unable to find the answer I need in the documentation. I did find some
interesting tidbits on the Samba 2.X trouble shooting guide, but the issue still remains.

I'm running Samba 2.0.9 on Solaris 7 and Windows 2000 with Active
Directory on some sort of Dell hardware. For the most part, the samba
shares work just fine. Windows users (running XP clients) are able to
access directories on the Sun box with a minimum of fuss. However, when
their windows password gets changed, they are no longer able to
authenticate until I manually change their password in smbpasswd.
Is there a way to automate this in Samba 2.0.9? I've spoken with a few
administrators who use Samba 3.x, and they have said that winbindd does
this exact thing, however I cannot upgrade at this time.

I've included the global section of my smb.conf for your perusal.

 [global]
        netbios name = GOOSE
        server string = Samba %v on %L
        security = domain
        workgroup = WESTAM-US
        password server = ads-02
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /opt/local/samba/var/log/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        wins server = 172.17.0.6
        printing = bsd
        print command = /usr/bin/lp -r -d %p %s
        preserve case = yes
#       hosts allow = 172.17.0.0/255.255.0.0 EXCEPT 172.17.2.37

Thank you in advance for any advice, and I hope this isn't one of those
RTFM situations.
--
Ryan Worthington
Systems and Network Analyst

This message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the named  addressee. If you are not the
intended recipient please inform us. Any unauthorised
dissemination, distribution or copying hereof is prohibited.
As we cannot guarantee the  genuineness or completeness of
the information contained in this message, the statements
set forth above are not legally binding.