[Samba] does SMB run over DCOM ?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Thu Sep 16 15:28:37 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:11:55PM +0100, Mario de Sousa wrote about '[Samba] does SMB run over DCOM ?':
>  OPC is a standard that specifies a collection of DCOM interfaces
> heavely used in the industrial automation domain.
> (http://www.opcfoundation.org)

>  I would like to access these OPC objects that run in Windows from Linux
> computers, using the DCOM framework.

>  Instead of implementing DCOM from scratch for Linux, I was considering
> 'stealing' some code off the SAMBA project relating to the DCOM rpc
> stuff.

>  Could anybody please confirm that SMB really does run over DCOM, in
> other words, does the SAMBA code include some kind of implementation of
> the DCOM protocols?
It is the other way around. DCOM runs over DCE/RPC, which /can/ run
over SMB. I have been working on an initial implementation of DCOM in
Samba4. It is still in the initial phase of development (some RPC
stuff is there), but let me know if you're interested in helping out.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/