[Samba] Re: Migrate BACK to WINDOWS -> Talk me out of it QUICK

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:58:21 GMT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:58:14 -0500, Dragan Krnic <dkrnic at lycos.com> wrote:
> I think I'm clear about what this young Jedi knight
> is asking. His conundrum is that he'll end up with
> way too many servers if he implements both a Windows
> Terminal Server and a Samba file and printer server
> on separate machines. Centralizing the Terminal Server
> on a big machine would entail dramatic traffic load on
> his thin 1/2 T-1 wire, even if he leaves one Samba
> server on each site for files and printing. So basically
> he asks: Does it not make more sense to just add file
> and print services to the MS Windows Terminal Servers ?
>
> And the answer is: Of course, it doesnt!
> You don't wanna be on the wrong side of the Force,
> do you, Chris?

but it is quicker - easier !! actually it is neither .. and we
definately know it isnt more powerful

> The way I see it, Chris should put his w2k3 in a
> vmware sandbox on his quad opteron samba server,
> ideally. Then install some NX magic and live
> happily ever after, with one central Samba server,
> (+ stand-by) subleting a couple of w2k3 avatars
> under vmware. Or vice versa.

I have reservations running production environments in VM sandboxes -
have no experience either way - it just sounds bleeding
edge....although that recommendation does sound intriquing, it will be
a network traffic nightmare for print jobs....

one other key point I forgot to mention is that at the remote sites,
there are laptop users..so if they come in a need a file, having it
local is key - keeping in mind we are running data over a 1/2 T-1

thanks for all the feedback thus far