[Samba] Access from Windows to Samba/LINUX

Albert HERVO albert.hervo at sydel.fr
Wed Sep 15 09:19:27 GMT 2004

Nothing works !

	- First the parameters is "browseable" or "browsable" ?

	- I have created with the Windows Explorer a directory "test" under
the directory "myshare"
		and modified the /etc/samba/smb.conf as :
[myshare]
        path = /myshare
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        public = Yes
        writable = Yes
        create mask = 0775
        browseable = Yes

[test]
        path = /myshare/test
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        public = Yes
        writable = Yes
        create mask = 0775
        browsable = No

[test2]
        path = /myshare/test2
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        public = Yes
        writable = Yes
        create mask = 0775
        browseable = No

	- Then I Stop and Restart the SMB service

Now the "test" AND "test2" directy are visible by the Windows Explorer
!

Albert

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 12:09, Darren Martz wrote:
> If you want a "share" to be hidden from browsing, one option is to
add $ to
> the end of the share name. Example, rather than :

And the preferred method in Samba is to set in the share definition:

	browseable = No

- John T.

>  [myshare]
>
> Change it to
>
>  [myshare$]
>
> And the windows browser will ignore it unless you type in the share
name in
> the address bar.
>
> That works for both Windows and Linux hosting servers.

Behalf Of
> Albert HERVO
> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 9:58 AM
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Access from Windows to Samba/LINUX
>

> Hello,
>
> 	I am configuring PCs on Windows W2K to access to a LINUX Server
> where Samba is mounted
>
> 	Is-it possible to do this ?
>
> 		Directory_1				: Browseable (then
> visible with the Network Favorits)