[Samba] Case-sensitivity problems with smbmount on linux

Jason Joines joines at bus.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 14 16:51:55 GMT 2004

Michael Carmack wrote:

> Can anyone else confirm this problem so I know I'm not crazy? I've
> tried many different configuration options, but cannot get this working.

Michael,

    I just experienced the exact same problem and ran across you post
when searching for a solution.

    My server is running SuSE Linux 8.1 with Kernel 2.4.19 and Samba
2.2.8a.  My client is SuSE Linux 9.1 with Kernel 2.6.5 and Samba client
3.0.4.  I had folders on the smb share of our web server called
phpScheduleIt (original extracted from tar) and phpscheduleit (live
version).  I made some changes in a file in phpscheduleit using vi on
the server.  Then I decided to open it up with Kate on my client via and
smbmount.  The changes were not reflected in the file I viewed with
Kate.  I made a change with Kate then viewed the file from the server
and the changes were not reflected in vi.  Then I saved the file to a
new name with Kate and the file did not show up on the server with ls.
I did a search on the server using find and found the newly created file
was in phpScheduleIt and not phpscheduleit.  Windows clients were
working just find so I did an smbumount and remounted but still had the
same problem.  I then did an ls -lid via my client shell on the smbmount
and it showed the two directories as having the same inode.  I did the
same on the server and they did not have the same inode.  Then I used
smbclient to connect to the share.  If I typed "cd PHPSCHEDULEIT" or any
other combination I ended up in phpScheduleIt.

    I decided to check the server.
# testparm | grep case
        default case = lower
        case sensitive = No
        preserve case = Yes
        short preserve case = Yes
        mangle case = No

    I changed to "case sensitive = Yes" in smb.conf in the global
section and retried the client.  Now "cd PHPSCHEDULEIT" via smbclient
failed as desired and "cd phpscheduleit" and "cd phpScheduleIt" took me
where it was supposed.  I remounted the share and ls -lid still showed
the same inode for both folders.  Also, "cd phpscheduleit" still took me
to phpScheduleIt.

    I read that the "case sensitive" option was share specific so I
moved it to the share definition and retried the cd operations at the
shell over the smbmount.  Now I am taken to phpscheduleit with both "cd
phpscheduleit" and "cd phpScheduleIt".

    Problem confirmed!

Jason Joines