[Samba] Case-sensitivity problems with smbmount on linux

Jason Joines joines at bus.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 14 18:27:43 GMT 2004

Jason Joines wrote:

> Michael Carmack wrote:
>> Can anyone else confirm this problem so I know I'm not crazy? I've 
>> tried many different configuration options, but cannot get this working.
> Michael,
>    I just experienced the exact same problem and ran across you post 
> when searching for a solution.
>    My server is running SuSE Linux 8.1 with Kernel 2.4.19 and Samba 
> 2.2.8a.  My client is SuSE Linux 9.1 with Kernel 2.6.5 and Samba 
> client 3.0.4.  I had folders on the smb share of our web server called 
> phpScheduleIt (original extracted from tar) and phpscheduleit (live 
> version).  I made some changes in a file in phpscheduleit using vi on 
> the server.  Then I decided to open it up with Kate on my client via 
> and smbmount.  The changes were not reflected in the file I viewed 
> with Kate.  I made a change with Kate then viewed the file from the 
> server and the changes were not reflected in vi.  Then I saved the 
> file to a new name with Kate and the file did not show up on the 
> server with ls.  I did a search on the server using find and found the 
> newly created file was in phpScheduleIt and not phpscheduleit.  
> Windows clients were working just find so I did an smbumount and 
> remounted but still had the same problem.  I then did an ls -lid via 
> my client shell on the smbmount and it showed the two directories as 
> having the same inode.  I did the same on the server and they did not 
> have the same inode.  Then I used smbclient to connect to the share.  
> If I typed "cd PHPSCHEDULEIT" or any other combination I ended up in 
> phpScheduleIt.
>    I decided to check the server.
> # testparm | grep case
>        default case = lower
>        case sensitive = No
>        preserve case = Yes
>        short preserve case = Yes
>        mangle case = No
>    I changed to "case sensitive = Yes" in smb.conf in the global 
> section and retried the client.  Now "cd PHPSCHEDULEIT" via smbclient 
> failed as desired and "cd phpscheduleit" and "cd phpScheduleIt" took 
> me where it was supposed.  I remounted the share and ls -lid still 
> showed the same inode for both folders.  Also, "cd phpscheduleit" 
> still took me to phpScheduleIt.
>    I read that the "case sensitive" option was share specific so I 
> moved it to the share definition and retried the cd operations at the 
> shell over the smbmount.  Now I am taken to phpscheduleit with both 
> "cd phpscheduleit" and "cd phpScheduleIt".
>    Problem confirmed!
> Jason Joines
> =================================


    Went to check out how to file a bug wiht Samba and saw you already 
had and that it had been closed because Samba said smbfs was not their 
code and was known to be broken.  I followed their suggestion to use 
cifs (http://linux-cifs.samba.org, turns out I already had it) and all 
is well.


More information about the samba mailing list