[Samba] Workgroup Browsing Issue and wins on 3.0.6

Carl Matthews cmatthews at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 14 09:11:14 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am having an issue browsing my work group, i have made the samba
server the master browser and it wins the elections. As far as i can
tell from the nmbd.logs it is also collecting hosts for the workgroup
but when you try to list the workgroup this error is recorded in the
messages log :

nss_wins[7417]: [2004/09/14 09:54:23, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(570)

nss_wins[7417]:   Can't become connected user!

Now all users can use \\server and list the shares and access them all,
so all users and passwords are correct.

windows gives the error "Workgroup is not accessible, you might not have
permission to use the network resource"

The server is running Fedora Core 1 and samba version : 3.0.6-2.FC1

Also i had a problem the other day where some wins entries were wrong so
i deleted the wins.dat and restarted the server, but the wrong wins
entries reappeared. after rebooting the server it seems to be working
now, apart from another samba server doesnt add it self to the wins
server list. It has win support = false and win server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
in its config.

The best bits of my smb.conf is below, thanks for any help.

Carl Matthews

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2004/06/23 10:15:40

# Global parameters
[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	loglevel = 1
	load printers = No
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	guest ok = yes
	dos filemode = Yes
	ldap ssl = no
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcas
	deadtime = 15
	create mask = 0775
	encrypt passwords = yes
	oplock break wait time = 100