[Samba] Migrate BACK to WINDOWS -> Talk me out of it QUICK

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 22:17:21 GMT 2004

Not thinking about migrating back due to issues, it is more due to
implementation needs and a little situation I have been wrestling with
with for a bit now, and would love some feedback

First a little history:

We currently have 10 locations connected via a dedicated 1/2 T-1.
Last year I migrated from a WINNT domain to a Samba/LDAP domain.  It
has been running great.  Basically did this for license reasons as
well as reduced administrative horror.

NOW:

We have just started to roll out Thinstation thin-clients  that are
connecting to Win TSRV servers.  What is being planned is 1 Terminal
Server per location.  This will significantly reduce the adminstrative
nightmare on multiple Windows boxes and centralize it.  However, this
is where I start to feel that I am having too many servers per
location, seeing that the windows server could do what the Samba
server is doing, I am in debate about moving back to windows (I have
will need to licenses and boxes there anyhows)

One other option is just ot house a ginormous WIN-TSRV at the central
location.  However, I am afraid of issues with printing back to the
remote locations (pushing large files through the 1/2 T-1 to print).

Another option is to remove the samba servers from the remote
location, and just have a samba PDC with authenticating windows tsrv
machines. - I dont like this option for some reason

I really dont want to move away from the SAMBA backend, but at the
same time dont want to stay with it just because I 'like it' and I
'want to'.  So I am looking for discussion/arguements as to why I
should stay with the Samba server and a win-tsrv server, as opposed to
just moving to a MS backend.

Please Obi-won Kenobi, you are our only help! thanks