[Samba] PDC from 2 to 3, SID headaches
Marco De Vitis
starless at spin.it
Sat Sep 11 01:48:06 GMT 2004
I'm doing a migration of a PDC from Samba 2.2.8a on Mandrake Linux 9.0 to
Samba 3.0.6 on Debian Woody (stable), both on the same machine, different
partitions, they do not run simultaneously. And I really need help. :-/
I could not find a detailed guide, so after having a look at the migration
chapter of the official howto, I adapted my smb.conf keeping the same host
and domain name, copied needed users by hand (by copy&paste from/to
passwd, shadow, group, gshadow and smbpasswd files, verifying that no IDs
conflicted), got the 2.2.8a domain SID with smbpasswd -X and imported it
in the 3.0.6 domain with net setlocalsid.
I don't think I have anything else necessary, in other tdb files.
Now, maybe the problem was the last step: after doing it on the Samba 3
domain, "net getlocalsid" and "net getlocalsid <domain_name>" returned two
different values, which is not a good thing according to
www.richardsharpe.com. Indeed, with net setlocalsid I did set the SID for
the server, but HOW can I set the SID for the domain??
Anyway, the result was that Win2000 clients (I tested only one) could not
load user profiles from the server, because "a copy with wrong permissions
already exists on the server" or something like that. But users could
access shares regularly.
I could not find any special hints in logs at level 4.
So I removed the client from the domain, and then made it join again. The
result: no more errors at login, but most user settings are not loaded,
and all local user/group mappings on the client have disappeared! This is
a disaster for me, as domain users need to belong to the local Power Users
group to use some crap applications, and I really do not like the idea of
going through all clients again to assign users to groups. 8-/
I then tried making domain and server SID the same, copying the domain SID
to the server (so both were different from the 2.2.8a one, but
unfortunately I can't find a way to do the opposite). Had to remove/join
the client again, and the problem stays the same, if not even worse.
I also tried copying secrets.tdb over from the 2.2.8a installation, but
nothing seemed to change.
I then rebooted back on Mandrake with the old version, rejoined the client
in the old domain, and everything started working fine again, including
I really need some detailed suggestions on what I might be missing.
Thank you very much.
I'm also having problems with VFS modules and charsets, but these will
come later. ;) Making the new PDC basically work is my current priority.
..."Stupid Dream", Porcupine Tree 1999
More information about the samba