[Samba] Using Samba over VPN - shares disconnect on Windows clients

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Fri Sep 10 11:49:30 GMT 2004

Hi Mark,
doing wins is always the better choice, and it takes no costs
to the network, some older progs ignore dns and do only wins.
I always setup Samba as a wins server, to avoid additional broadcasts by
the windows clients, have a propper setup internal dns should be the
normal case.
But this seems to me is only a add in your case.
Adsl or isdn , is only a question from performance , it doesnt relate to
the quality of the vpn. ( for sure it should be stable anyway )
If your network is not really stable , maybe firewall issuses
on the xp client or on the gateway itself, the open and close
from a folder ist not clearly noticed by the server-client connection,
this might be your problem , using tcpdump and etherreal may clear this.
Using vpn ( pptp ) is difficult to setup , cause there are some many
parts you have to think off.
I usually test it from a internal machine first.
Even if the pptp conect works from internal works perfectly, i start
to test it from outside.
I allways start the test from a isdn win client directly connected
to the internet , without having any firewall on the client enabled.
( normally after this test this client musst be reinstalled cause its
totaly hacked by minutes )
If this works i do the same test via a direct adsl line.
If this works i used to test it with a direct adsl line
and kerio firewall enabled.
I never use Win xp firewall cause of low tuning features.
Also the win xp client should be able to connect to the samba domain
in the internal net without any problems , before trying conect it from vpn.
Last test ist with multiple adsl routers , having pptp passtrough enabled.
During this testing , i tuned the pptpd options to the values i posted,
and it works now stable and nice.
I would start trying conect from a internal machine to the samba
server via vpn, so you are sure it works in principal,
this is the to boarder the bug, after that you know if you have to tune
pptp or samba.
I have a test net , parted from internal and vpn net via a iptables
firwall, so no dhcp problems may happen.
As a tip , you should have a look to openvpn which works very nice too,
i use it for static vpn , between my office networks (fixed ips), but
you can also use it ( with dyndns ) for windows.But it is not my first
choice vor dialup vpns.
Sorry but i dont know any more tips, tracing your network traffic
looking the log on the client server and the gateway should show up the bug.

Best Regards