[Samba] Excel Word XP slow response from Samba

Anton Blignaut anton at mabonline.co.za
Mon Sep 6 19:40:31 GMT 2004

I have a problem on a Redhat 9 box with Samba.
The first few times I open a file from Samba with Word or Excel running on
XP I have no problem with speed.
After that it takes 4 to 5 minutes to react.
I copied the setup of the Redhat box from the Samba setup of a Mandrake 10
box.
On the Mandrake 10 box I don't have this speed problem.
I include the Global settings of the Radhat Box, which are the same as the
Mandrake Box.
The problems only seems to be between XP and Samba as the 95 and 98
Workstations are working fine.

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
workgroup = OurWorkGroup
netbios name = ServerName
server string = Server Description
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups
printer admin = @"Domain Admins"
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
hosts allow = 10.10.15. 10.11.15. 127.
map to guest = bad user
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
pam password change = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Re*ype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n \
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = yes
local master = yes
os level = 64
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = no
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false '%u'
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%s'
add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a '%u' '%g'
delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d '%u' '%g'
set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g && getent group '%g'|awk -F:
'{print $3}'
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine
Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
passdb backend = smbpasswd guest
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no

Anton Blignaut
MAB Solutions
anton at mabonline.co.za
082 495 2923

dangerous content by MAB Solutions, and is
believed to be clean.
http://www.mabonline.co.za