[Samba] 2 servers

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:14:33 GMT 2004

n Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:58:26 +0200, Joachim Schwendtner
<schwendtner at neuhofen.at> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am newbie in configuring samba and I have special question:
>
> in our school we have one server (debian woody) which hosts the mail
> server (exim) - this server can be reached from the internet.
> the second server (debian woody fileserver) is not reachable from the
> internet. this server hosts the home directories of our users (samba).
> the user-directories and the mail-adresses have the same structures:
>
> mail: prenome.surname at hsbadhall.at
> home: /home/prenome.surname
> and there should only be ONE password!
>
> when I add oder delete users I use webmin on the mailserver. is it
> possible, to share the passwd file, that I have only ONE user database
> for mailserver (192.168.23.1) AND fileserver (192.168.23.2)?

samba also uses a smbpasswd file - so it gets a bit trickier

these are quick and off the top of my head - but there are a few solutions:

1-you can modify webmin so it makes a call a creates/deletes the samba users
2-you can convert exim and samba to use LDAP for authentication
3-you could change it so you modify users on the samba server using
webmin, and then rsync the passwd file to the exim machine

number 1 would probably be the simplest