[Samba] Slow Printing from XP clients with SP2, alsowith 2.2.11?

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Fri Sep 3 11:41:58 GMT 2004

Rohan Gilchrist wrote:

> It's very similar to this bug, however, I don't get a core dump when I
> try to print.
> The print job works, it just takes much, much longer from SP 2 boxes
> than SP 1 boxes.
> I'll look at moving to 3.0.6 though :)

some of the users of the package with the internal samba version 2.2.11
(which prevent the crash if the xp client sends a
find_next_print_change_notify request without ever sending a find_first
- the same patch as in 3.0.6) also having the problem with slow printing
with WinXP SP2. This is related to the messages

[2004/08/20 10:26:36, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_clie
nt(91)
    connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine
MICHAEL. Error w
as : SUCCESS - 0.
[2004/08/20 10:26:42, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_clie
nt(91)
    connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine
MICHAEL. Error w
as : SUCCESS - 0.
[2004/08/20 10:26:49, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_clie
nt(91)
    connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine
MICHAEL. Error w
as : SUCCESS - 0.
[2004/08/20 10:26:55, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_clie
nt(91)
    connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine
MICHAEL. Error w
as : SUCCESS - 0.
[2004/08/20 10:27:01, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_clie
nt(91)
    connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine
MICHAEL. Error w
as : SUCCESS - 0.

Printer dialogs come up very slow. In the log messages you can see, that
there is an delay of 25(!) seconds, before the printing dialog appears!
I hope it is possible to _not_ permanently connecting the client from
samba or decreasing the timeout for this try...

If you speak german, here is the thread:

http://lists.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/mailman/htdig/eisfair/2004-August/066507.html

Im interested in your experiences with 3.0.6.

--
der tom
[fli4l-/eis-team]