[Samba] Need help with LDAP naming in SAMBA

Shiraaz Singh shiraaz at aptronics.co.za
Thu Sep 2 12:47:06 GMT 2004

Hi All

I am a newbie to Linux and Samba but getting thru it slowly and
successfully.I am trying to get the Linux server accesible from windows
and I need to know what the EXACT naming convention is for the LDAP
settings in Samba.

Here is the scenario

I have a MS Active Directory in place with a W2003 server acting as a
PDC emulator.The server is called Frodo and the domain is lab.co.za.

I have Suse server 9.1 and want to make this available to the windows
clients and also want to use the Active Directory for authentication.In
samba I (via the Yast tool) I choose LDAP for authentication and need to
supply the path to the LDAP server (which would be Frodo) but I don't
know what the exact distinguished name should be.I was told to use

cn=frodo,dc=lab,dc=co;dc=za

but if I do an LDAP test I get an error "there seems to be no funtional
ldap servers at this location"

can anyone help ?