[Samba] Re: XP Problems adding machines "on the fly"

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Wed Sep 1 21:51:10 GMT 2004

 > maybe you should look for another stupid american who ruined "Baghdad$"
 > account :))

Ha! ;-)
There is only one but unfortunately he happens to be the one *in
charge*.  Funny how non-Americans think that Americans somehow have more
control of their government than they have over their own.  The truth is
we don't have any more control over ours than anybody else does.  Less
even because we have so many more corporate Thrones we must bow to and
because our government has some of the best spin doctors money can buy.

Having said that, I now must say something to make this a non off-topic
and hopefully worth while post, hehehe. ;-)

>   hosts allow = passdb backend = tdbsam

The above line is in error. Should read:

#hosts allow =
passdb backend = tdbsam

My understanding is that the account created must belong to both worlds
and therefore must have an entry in both passwd and smbpasswd files.
That means probably using "smbpasswd -m" somewhere in your "add machine
script".  If I'm right about this then something like this example:

passdb backend = tdbsam smbpasswd

   add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -d /dev/null -g 100 \
    -s /bin/false -M %u;/usr/sbin/smbpasswd -m %u

The path for smbpasswd might not be correct. It is just a guess.

The issue, as I understand it, is that machine accounts require
information that cannot be stored in the passwd file, therefore you need
an additional backend.  Of course, in this case only machine accounts
will be stored there.

Jim C.
| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|