[Samba] shared UDF volume and "attempt to access beyond end of device" errors

Anthony Russello russello at iomega.com
Wed Sep 1 21:48:43 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am trying to track down an issue in which writes to a UDF volume that
is shared via samba result in the following error:

<snip>
attempt to access beyond end of device
0b:01: rw=1, want=1120061380, limit=34181760
</snip>

The 'want=' value is usually different, and can also be zero in some
instances.

The volume is an Iomega REV drive formatted using the UDF filesystem.
Here are the specifications for my test system:

kernel 2.4.26
applied the following patches:
  - patches-be.dvd.ram-20040816 (from
http://iomrrdtools.sourceforge.net/)

samba version 3.0.5

The error occurs when I copy a folder with subfolders from a Windows XP
(both SP1 and SP2) workstation to a samba share that is linked to the
mount point for the Iomega REV drive.

It should be noted that I have not been able to reproduce this issue
when I connect to the same share using a linux workstation (also running
samba 3.0.5).  Also, this error does not occur when I am copying files
and folders locally on the workstation with the REV drive.

The fact that I cannot seem to reproduce the error by copying files and
folders locally has me thinking it might be related to samba and XP
writing to a samba share.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony