[Samba] Administrator

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at anu.edu.au
Sun Oct 31 22:44:07 GMT 2004

On 29 Oct 2004, at 21:14, darryl penny wrote:

> I would like to logon to some of the XP Pro boxes as a normal network
> user,
> but at the same time be 'Administrator' on the machine. Adding myself
> to the
> Administrator's group on the pc has no effect when logging on via the
> network.

Try the "Domain Administrator's" group.

Better yet, create an "Administrator" user on the domain (IIRC the UID
has to be 512, gidNumber must be 512), and log in as that user. Don't
make your day-to-day account an administrative account, especially if
you intend to use Internet Explorer as your browser for any purpose
(eg: Windows Update, comet cursors, the list of evils goes on).

Also check that you're running a SMB Domain, rather than a Workgroup.

Alex

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov