[Samba] Samba + LDAP as a PDC - unable to log in (but able to join a domain)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Fri Oct 22 18:52:36 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:

 > a) Your configuration information. From this someone may be able to
see things that are not as they need to be. That may help you to find a
solution.

In case anyone wondered, here's my smb.conf and slapd.conf.

As I said, without LDAP, I can join a domain, log in as a user, roaming
profiles work etc,
With OpenLDAP added, I can join the domain, but then I'm unable to log
in as a user from the Windows workstation (w2k SP4).

Samba logs say that user authentication was successful, but Windows says
that user/password were wrong.

smb.conf:

[global]

;basic server settings
    workgroup = MAGISTA
    netbios name = Server
    server string = Samba PDC running %v
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192

;PDC and master browser settings
    os level = 65
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes

    wins support = yes
    remote announce = 192.168.0.255/MAGISTA

;security and logging settings
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 2
    max log size = 50
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

;password sync
    passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd -o %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*
    unix password sync = Yes

;LDAP-specific settings
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=magista,dc=de
    ldap ssl = no
    ldap suffix = dc=magista,dc=de
     ldap group suffix = ou=Users
     ldap user suffix = ou=Users
     ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
     ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users

add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false -g machine %u

;user profiles and home directory
    logon home = \\%L\%U\
    logon drive = H:
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
    logon script = netlogon.bat

# ==== shares ====

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes

[profiles]
   path = /home/samba/profiles
   writeable = yes
   browseable = no
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   read only = yes
   browseable = no
   write list = tom

[unattended]
   comment = Installation Sources
   path = /home/unattended
   read only = yes
   browseable = no
   valid users = unattended

### EOF smb.conf

slapd.conf:

include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/yast.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba3.schema

pidfile         /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd/slapd.args

modulepath      /usr/lib/openldap/modules

access to dn.base=""
         by * read

access to dn.base="cn=Subschema"
         by * read

access to attr=userPassword,userPKCS12
         by self write
         by * auth

access to attr=shadowLastChange
         by self write
         by * read

access to *
         by self write
         by users read
         by anonymous auth

database        ldbm
cachesize       10000
suffix          "dc=magista,dc=de"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=magista,dc=de"

rootpw          xxxxxx

directory       /var/lib/ldap

index   objectClass             eq
index   cn                      pres,sub,eq
index   sn                      pres,sub,eq
index   uid                     pres,sub,eq
index   displayName             pres,sub,eq
index   uidNumber               eq
index   gidNumber               eq
index   memberUid               eq
index   sambaSID                eq