[Samba] APW - copies files and then fails

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Fri Oct 22 14:53:38 GMT 2004

I'm trying to use the Add Printer Wizard to install drivers for a CalComp pen
plotter.  These drivers are known to work with XP, 2K, and NT.  I follow the
APW, it copies all the necessary files to [print$] and then after all files
are copied, I get "Unable to install CCP TechJet 5536(Roll) Windows 2000 or
XP, Intel driver.  Operation could not be completed."  I get no error
messages in smbd.log.  I am not sure if this is an XP issue (using an XP
machine to add printer drivers) or a Samba problem.  Does anybody have
similar problems with the APW?  Are there better ways to add the drivers?

Also, I seem unable to add NT/2K drivers from Windows XP under the "Sharing"
tab of the Printer properties.  Again, is this a Samba thing do you think?

Thanks for your help,
Misty