[Samba] Intermittent "Network name cannot be found" error when accessing XP roaming profile

David Wilson dave-home at dcdata.co.za
Mon Oct 18 17:54:05 GMT 2004

Hi guys,

How are you ?
I've installed samba-3.0.7 from source on a Slackware Linux 10.0 server
configured with "--with-ldap" as a backend (OpenLDAP-2.2.13) and with
nss_ldap installed. I have my profiles share configured as follows:
[profiles]
comment = Profile Share
path = /data/profiles
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
browseable = no
profile acls = yes
csc policy = disable

Permissions on a user's profile folder:
drwxrwxr-x  12 pupil Domain Admins 424 2004-10-14 13:46 pupil

Most of the time logins from Windows X.P. (SP1) PCs work perfectly and
the roaming profile comes across, however sometimes an error "Cannot
access roaming profile.... ... ... .. network name cannot be found"
comes up.
The error is intermittent and does not seem to stick to any sort of
pattern. I've looked all over and found that other people have
experienced the same problem but I can't seem to find a solid fix for it.
Perhaps installing X.P. Service Pack 2 will sort it out ?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I can resolve this
problem ?
Thank you for your time.

David.