[Samba] win98 and domain logins, Can't browse network

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Mon Oct 18 12:37:02 GMT 2004

Hello,
I've just replaced an NT4 server with a NetBSD box running
Samba 3.0.7.

There's 2 win98 boxes on the network, which were logging into
the NT server, so I set up samba as :

[global]
    workgroup = BENFAB2
    log level = 1
    browsable = yes
    server string = Samba %v (%h)
    security = user
    hosts allow = 10.0.0. 127.
    load printers = yes
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    printing = bsd
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    password level = integer
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
    wins support = yes

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    public = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[print$]
     comment = Printer Driver Download Area
     path = /home/samba/drivers
     browseable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     read only = yes
     write list = @staff, root

[groups]
    path = /home/samba/groups
    writable = yes
    valid users = ben,administrator,irene
    public = no
    create mask = 0765

[netlogon]
     path = /home/samba/netlogon

[Profiles]
     path = /home/samba/profiles
     browsable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     writable = yes
     create mask = 0765

The 2 win98 boxes can log in to the domain (as far as I can tell), they
load their profiles into the profiles directory anyway.  They can
both mount the server shares if I do a manual mount of a filesystem,
they can use the printer that's set up on the samba server too.
But they can't browse, if I click on 'browse' in the win98 GUI,
I get errors telling me it can't see the network.  This would
be ok, except I need to share a printer on one of the PCs to the
other one, and I'd like it to 'work properly' for aesthetic
reasons.

I don't mind having to rejig the PCs to just use workgroups rather
than domain logins, if that's a 'better' way to do a pretty simple
network.  I was trying to reproduce the NT setup on the Sambe
server, but am not idealogically committed to it. Can anyone make a
suggestion for how to go about this?  I'm no samba wiz, I've cobbled
the config above from various howtos that seemed pretty close to
what I wanted to achieve, but I've made mistakes, I'm sure!

thanks!

Carl