[Samba] kerberos and/or winbind ??

Mark Le Noury markl at bbd.co.za
Wed Oct 13 11:52:24 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm getting confused about the role that kerberos authentication plays.
What exactly is the point of using kerberos to join a samba server to an
AD domain?
If using kerberos still requires you to rely on winbindd for all the
nsswitch stuff then what is the point?

I can just as easily specify
                                workgroup = wkgrp
                                security = domain

and do a
                                net join

Instead of doing
                        realm = wkgrp.krb.realm
                        workgoup = wkgrp
                        security = ADS

and doing
                        net ads join

Are there performance benefits/better security...what??
 I think that maybe my understanding of the kerberos setup is a bit
flawed.

thanks for any replies,

Mark Le Noury