[Samba] Switch profile from local to roaming?

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Thu Oct 7 14:42:29 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 13:08, Paul Gienger wrote:
> >doesn't do the smart thing and copy the user's local profile to roaming --
> > it
>
> That would actually be a very *dumb* thing to do.

Actually I verified that this does in fact happen.  When I first tried doing
this, I had not created the directory on the server where the profile would
be stored (I had created /data/profiles but not /data/profiles/mytestuser).
Windows XP freaked out and said it couldn't make a roaming profile and
proceeded to make a local profile based on "Default User."

Now here is where I got really confused and didn't understand what the problem
was.  I jumped through all kinds of hoops getting it to copy the local
profile onto the server, etc.  It never worked, even with the File and
Settings Wizard.

Finally, I got frustrated.  I deleted both the user's profile on the server,
and the  user's local profile that had been created based on Default User.  I
left the user's original non-domain profile.  Then I logged in as the user to
the domain, and damn if it didn't copy the user's profile straight to the
server just like I had expected it to do in the first place.

The moral of the story is that Windows seems to assume you are the same user
if you are logging into the local system only, or to the domain.  I have no
idea what the behavior would be if you had _only_ a domain account and not a
local machine account.

Misty