[Samba] Slow Directory listing

Kevin Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 09:06:06 GMT 2004

DA Forsyth wrote:
> it might be looking for icons for each program in the listing.
> somewhere else you said there are 32000 files, is that all in one
> folder?  seems a really large number to me, I'd split it up a bit.

In my world that's only about '22 minutes' worth of data (often out of
over 200 minutes), and that means its not always possible to break it
up.

You may also want to look at the hashing function for name mangling,
depending on the clients requirement turning off the mangling all
together.

Disabling 8.3 name generation in NTFS can speed it up for instance

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |