[Samba] Move Samba 3.0 PDC to different machine

Moondance Foxmarnick calabash at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 01:10:50 GMT 2004

-Brad
	Saint's preserve! I thought I was the only one that couldn't
find a "what-files-to-pull" list! Now there are two of us!
I am moving from 2.x to 3.0 PDC (my original PDC is trying to set itself
on fire) and cannot find a list of files anywhere! I even have the
'Official Samba-3' book. They cover migration.. without covering what
files to pull.

Here is a list of the files I _have_ pulled (I am also moving from
RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 2)
	For Fedora:
			Group,group- and group.lock
			Passwd, passwd- and passwd.lock
			Shadow, shadow- and shadow.lock
	For Samba:
			Smb.conf
			Smbpasswd
			Smbusers

Fedora is fine, even though I don't know what the - files or the .lock
files are. But so far Samba will not let me log anyone in although
testparm came up okay (just needed to remove "domain admin group"). I'm
here today (sun.) to do further troubleshooting. I need to get it going
today, because this is a school server and come Monday, they need it. My
config is simple - only PDC for network, no password backend, no BDC.
Very plain vanilla.

I know my problem is the smbpasswd list, I just can't readily figure out
why. I think I'm missing some files. There is a secrets.tdb file in the
old Samba directory, which _may_ be the missing link, but it all needs
to be researched for me.

Unfortunately, with the orginal server overheating, there is no time to
prep. I was planning on migrating (in a controlled fashion) to Samba 3.0
for the ACL support. Now I find myself having to do it now because 3.0
was rolled with Fedora Core 2. Just to increase the level of fun (no,
really, I love a challenge <grin>) I'm learning Linux, Domain networking
and SAMBA concurrently. Thank god for message groups and the internet.

-Moondance