[Samba] 3.0.8/3.0.9 printing tdb entries not clearing

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Tue Nov 30 15:03:54 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 15:03, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Martin Sapsed wrote:
> | Hi all,
> |
> | We have a strange issue with printing tdb entries not
> | clearing. From  what I can tell, this may be an issue on
> | Solaris (5.9) but not on Linux  (2.4.18) - I have 3.0.8 (and
> | since last night .9) on a linux server and  a solaris one. I
> | don't see the problem on print queues hosted on the linux box.
>
> This was a bug introduced in 3.0.6 and fixed in 3.0.8 (at
> least on Intel).  Yours is the second report I have on a
> big endian box so we still have a byte ordering problem here
> apparently.
>
> | Previously with 3.0.5 we did find situations where jobs
> | would be  submitted and would have status "Spooling" for
> | ever and not go through -  we're not seeing that on .8 or .9 -
> | just this other issue. Is this perhaps related to the
> | earlier problem?
>
> No.  It's a different issue.  The 'spooling job' bug was fixed
> in 3.0.7 I think.  Can't remember exactly.
>
> I'll look at this today and the slow printing bug people
> have reported as well.

Hello Gerald!

Do you mean the Windows XP SP2 - slow printing problem?
If so, I've to add, that this problem also occours, when the network printer
is on a Windows 2003 server. So it's not related to Samba (although you might
find a workaround).

The symptoms are the same as mentioned in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329234
, which covers a bug that should be fixed in SP2. I believe something went
wrong.

It's definitly related to the existance of a local devicemode and to certain
drivers.

Bye,
Martin

Martin Zielinski                       mz at seh.de