[Samba] Samba fc3: accent problem

forumemail2 forumemail2 at softhome.net
Sat Nov 27 18:06:42 GMT 2004

I am unable to properly view ISO8859-15 characters (typicaly characters
with accent such as é, è, à...) from filenames on a samba server using
fedora core 3. After spending hours on it, I have been unable to find a
solution. Any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the description of my configuration:

I have 3 machines running:
- one server with fc3
- one PC "PC1" with fc3
- one PC "PC2" with XP

The server runs samba 3.0.8-0.pre1.3 with the
following /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

========================
# Global parameters
[global]
	unix charset = ISO8859-15
	display charset = ISO8859-15
	workgroup = MYGROUP
	netbios name = SAMBA
	server string = Samba Server
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 1000
	unix extensions = No
	load printers = No
	hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.
	hosts deny = all

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
========================

On both the server and PC1 the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file is set like
this:

==========
LANG="fr_FR at euro"
SUPPORTED="fr_FR.ISO8859-15:fr_FR:fr"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
==========

On PC1, I mount the samba file at start-up with the following line in
the /etc/fstab :

//192.168.0.4/bg   /mnt/serveur   cifs
rw,uid=bgirin,credentials=/etc/samba/pwd_bg   0 0

The mounting works fine and from PC1 I can access the files on the
server except that any filename from the server containing non-English
characters (such as é, è, à...) won't display correctly on PC1.

I have not such a problem when I access the same files using PC2 (under
XP). And before using fc3, I was running RH9 on both PC1 & server and
did not have such problem.

I have done a large number of tests and was not able to find a solution.
If you have any idea, please let me know !

Bertrand