[Samba] smb.conf for PDC

M. Aftab Alam a_alam at web.de
Thu Nov 25 13:25:57 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am configuring samba the first time as PDC so that a user can login on different pcs with the same password. To do this, I have configured smb.conf as  follows.  I'd appreciate, if someone could see, if the file is complete to run samba as a PDC.

[global]
workgroup = windowsGroupname
netbios name = ComputerName
server string = Samba Server %v
interfaces = lo, eth0

unis password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %.u
passwd chat = *new*passwd*%n\n *new*passwd*%n\n*changed

;PDC and master browser setting
os lever = 64
prefered master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes
wins support = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
strict locking = yes

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50

;Setting sama as a time server
#time server = yes
;Setting operations for interface for better performance
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;Binding the Samba server to the local device
bind interfaces only = yes
#Allowing only workgroup computers for better security
#hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.?.?
security = user
logon home=\\%L\%U\.profiles
logon drive = H:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

[netlogon]
path = /home/samba/netlogon
browsable = no

Now when I try to add the machine, where the samba server is running to the windows domain:

#net rpc join -w windowsdomain -U Administrator%passwd

I get the error:
Could not connect to the server
The username or password was not correct or the command is false?

Can somebody plz tell me, what I am doing wrong.

Cheers

Alam