[Samba] request [*] timed out!

Diogo Galvão diogo86galvao at yahoo.com.br
Mon Nov 22 02:23:20 GMT 2004

I've been using Samba for a long but having some trouble now after
changing the server.

Here is the environment:
Server: Linux Slackware (current / after version 10), Samba 3.0.7,
Kernel 2.4.27
Client: Linux Slackware (current / after version 10), Samba 3.0.7,
Kernel 2.6.8.1

The problem:
My Linux client crashes most times when reading any Samba mount point.
I've noticed the problem while browsing the directory by Nautilus (Gnome
2.8.0). Browsing the mount point by a terminal (ls -R /mnt/smb) is ok.
My Windows XP client browses everything fine too.

When I say "crash" I mean it becomes stalled. After waiting for a long
(minutes and minutes depending on the quantity of files in the
directory) it gets back.

The /var/log/message shows the following:
Nov 21 20:18:17 redqueen kernel: smb_add_request: request [d716fe60,
mid=1497] timed out!
... (many times)
Nov 21 21:17:14 redqueen kernel: smb_lookup: find mp3/Bush failed, error=-5
... (for many files in the directory)

The logs on the server do not show anything relevant.

I've read that it may be cause of the "resolve host" method in the
server. It is configured to use only "host" and the server has
/etc/hosts configured properly as does the client.

I really apreciate any help to solve this issue.

(sorry for my English)