[Samba] Another try: apps can't see data files until use of Win. Expl.

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 20 15:53:22 GMT 2004

[I posted this problem a couple of weeks ago and got no responses.  So I'm
trying again]

I have a couple of applications on a WinXP/SP2 system that use data files
on a Samba (v2.2.12, on Linux) shared drive.  Immediately after booting
the WinXP system these data files cannot be seen, yet become visible when
the share is browsed with Windows Explorer.

These applications are started automatically when the WinXP system is
booted.  The Samba-exported network drive is also reconnected
automatically at boot time.

After the WinXP system is completely booted these data files are still not
seen by their respective application.  When I open Windows Explorer, I
see that the share is present.  It is only after I browser that share
(expand the directory tree with Windows Explorer) that the data files are
seen.  I am informed by one of my automatically-run applications that the
expected data files (previously not found) are now seen.

Can some please advise me on how to ensure that all data files on the
share can be made visible at WinXP boot time?

Thanks.