[Samba] installing printer in a logon script

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Mon Nov 8 15:15:29 GMT 2004

Paul Gienger wrote:

>> 1) printer is installed *fully* automatically - no end-user user
>> interaction,
>> 2) as admin can reach Samba and only Samba remotely (and only
>> remotely), there can be no walking to a workstation and adding a
>> printer from there.
>>
>> To sum up:
>>
>> a) admin knows what printer do they have in these remote offices,
>> b) admin copies drivers to samba remotely, changes some logon scripts
>> - and users of that remote office have printer drivers installed.
>>
> I'm going to reiterate one more time that it doesn't appear that you're
> doing this properly, and then shoot myself.

Don't! :)

> You need to, as admin, *install* the printer on the samba server by the
> methods that have been listed in this thread several times.  DO NOT
> simply copy the drivers to some random share on the server and then
> point the client to them.  Here is my login script snippet that works
> fine on every workstation I've ever seen that has the printer drivers
> installed properly on the server.  Some newish versions of samba require
> me to put the ip, hopefully that will be fixed.  The first one sets the
> driver, the second sets the default printer.
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\10.2.0.2\hplj /r
> \\10.2.0.2\hplj /m "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PS "
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /z /n \\10.2.0.2\hplj

OK, this is partially my fault, as installing printer drivers on Samba
manually (not using Windows GUI) is so complicated and unintuitive that
I think it's even more complicated than configuring IPSec on two
machines with dynamic IP, one behind NAT!
I just imagined adding 10 different printer drivers to Samba (in 14
different locations) and it was I who thought of shooting myself.

rundll printui.dll,PrintUIEntry has already a switch to use a given inf
file for a chosen printer - and as win2k already *has* these printer
drivers, I feel no need to copy them from Samba. Doing it from a slow
dial-up can be unpleasant experience for an end-user, each time he/she
logs in.

The hard part for me is to make "rundll printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" use
this given inf file, not downloading it from Samba.

Tomek