[Samba] installing printer in a logon script

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Nov 8 14:38:43 GMT 2004

> 1) printer is installed *fully* automatically - no end-user user
> interaction,
> 2) as admin can reach Samba and only Samba remotely (and only
> remotely), there can be no walking to a workstation and adding a
> printer from there.
>
> To sum up:
>
> a) admin knows what printer do they have in these remote offices,
> b) admin copies drivers to samba remotely, changes some logon scripts
> - and users of that remote office have printer drivers installed.

I'm going to reiterate one more time that it doesn't appear that you're
doing this properly, and then shoot myself.

You need to, as admin, *install* the printer on the samba server by the
methods that have been listed in this thread several times.  DO NOT
simply copy the drivers to some random share on the server and then
point the client to them.  Here is my login script snippet that works
fine on every workstation I've ever seen that has the printer drivers
installed properly on the server.  Some newish versions of samba require
me to put the ip, hopefully that will be fixed.  The first one sets the
driver, the second sets the default printer.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\10.2.0.2\hplj /r
\\10.2.0.2\hplj /m "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PS "
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /z /n \\10.2.0.2\hplj

I quit.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322