[Samba] Performance Issues

Simon Aridis-Lang SimonL at SBAMUSIC.COM.AU
Thu Nov 4 07:42:56 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've noticed this type of issue has been raised a few times, but I
haven't been able to find a solution yet.

I'm having transfer performance issues from various clients to my new
file server :

Server config is :

Athlon 3200+ on Nforce 2

Yukon Gb NIC

Gentoo with 2.6.9

samba 3.0.7-r1 ebuild

3Ware Escalade 9500S-12 x 2

Clients are XP SP2,2K3 on similar hardware and G5s with OS X 10.3, all
with Gb NICs on Cat6, and all of which are transferring like dogs ;(

smbmount from server to 2003Server transfers ok, but one directory with
~2500 files appears as empty!  Also, my old G4 w/Os X 10.2 is
transferring ok also... go figure.

# hdapram -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:

 Timing buffered disk reads:  268 MB in  3.01 seconds =  88.96 MB/sec

During transfer smdb reports only 0.7  %cpu or thereabouts.  Various
changes to the socket options have not yielded any results. Winbind is
authenticating ok and I can't see anything in any of the logs which
would indicate a catastrophic problem.

smb.conf :

[global]

        netbios name = VAULT