[Samba] Samba as PDC

Vaughan, Curtis Curtis at npc-usa.com
Wed May 26 05:01:55 GMT 2004

I have Samba v 2.28 on RedHat 8.0. (Please don't ask or tell me to update
Samba or the OS, as it's not an option right now). This server acts as the
PDC for a domain we are setting up.

I have this problem that whenever a W2K client (actually I haven't tried it
with any other OS) tries to log into this domain (I have, by the way, added
the client computer to the Samba server), they get an error to the effect
that their profile cannot be loaded, or some file cannot be loaded into
their profile directory on the Samba server.  But I don't want to have
roaming profiles.  I want the profiles to be stored on the client computer
locally.

Below is my smb.conf file. I have played around with commenting out sections
like: logon home ; logon path ; logon drive.  I even added a [profiles]
section, but to no avail.  Actually there was a registry fix on W2K machines
to create local profiles, and that worked, but I still get similiar errors
as the client logs in. (i.e., Windows cannot create profile directory
\\atlantica\profiles.pds.  You will be logged on with a local profile only.
Changes to the profile will not be propagated to the server. Contact your
network administrator. )

[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins hosts bcast
        ldap ssl = off
        default case = lower
        logon drive = H:
        domain master = yes
        remote browse sync =
       hosts allow = 10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ldap server = 127.0.0.1
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
#       logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles
        wins support = true
        dns proxy = no
        netbios name = atlantica
        ldap port = 389
        password server = 127.0.0.1
        logon script = %U.bat
        ldap suffix = dc=npc-usa,dc=com
        unix password sync = Yes
        remote announce = 10.0.1.0/24
        local master = yes
        workgroup = NPC-USA
        preferred master = yes
#       logon path = \\%N\profiles
        os level = 99
        ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=npc-usa,dc=com
        security = user
        max log size = 50
        domain logons = yes
        log level = 8