[Samba] Samba 3.0.3 bugs

Rashid N. Achilov shelton at sentry.granch.ru
Mon May 3 11:47:35 GMT 2004

I have encountered some bunch of bugs in Samba 3.0.3 (downloaded today).

1. passdb.tdb doesn't creating automatically, creating zero-length file and
constantly reported "Failed to open TDB file passdb.tdb". I make to create it
manually through tdbtool (autoconvert when smbpasswd adding user). 3.0.2 has
similar bug, but in 3.0.2 this bug was eliminated, when I erase "smbpasswd"
from "passdb backend" line.

2. When personal configs (smb.conf.%U) didn't used and "hide unreadble = yes",
I can see directories with only rights to user (like "mail") only when user
included in "admin users=..." list. Ordinary user didn't see it, even it is
owner.

3. Mostly ugly bug - user home directory disappearing, when
smb.conf.<username> exists and included in smb.conf! So, when file (i.e
shelton is username) smb.conf.shelton exists and has any content (even zero
size) I cannot see share 'shelton' in shares list. Using per-user
configuration file is valuable part of configuration and cannot be replaced
(for me). And when I try to see shares list from administrator user
(users.map contains root = administrator) I see "Network path doesn't exist".

So, I can give access to homedir only:
- smb.conf.<username> didn't included in config or not exist
- hide unreadable = no (for ordinary user)

FreeBSD 4.10, Samba 3.0.3. I have tried default config with minimal adaption -
no effect.
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://granch.ru/~shelton