[Samba] Negative caching of DNS queries never expires?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 30 22:26:40 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 03:03, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was doing some tests with a samba 3.0.2a server set up to be a wins server
> and to do dns proxy, and I have found that when you queried nmbd for a name
> ahta was not on wins db or found on DNS, the negative response is cached
> either for a really long time or forever, in such a way that even though you
> add the name to the DNS, you won't get a positive answer out of nmbd
> anymore.
>
> I have tried solving this by lowering the minimum ttl in my soa as well as
> soa's ttl, and also using the option "name cache timeout" of samba, setting
> it to 0 (no cache) and to low values, but I haven't been lucky with any of
> these.
>
> Is this supposed to be like that?
> Does anybody have any idea on how to solve this issue?
>
> If this seems a problem and you need more info to try to diagnose it, don0t
> hesitate to ask.

There was a bit of discussion about dns proxy breakage on the list a
little while back.  We even had a bug, which we then closed...

The issue appears that for *any* expired record, we don't ask DNS
again.  Have a look on the list for the patch, try it and re-open a bug
if that's really what is going on....

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org