[Samba] Negative caching of DNS queries never expires?

Santiago Garcia Mantinan samba at manty.net
Tue Mar 30 17:03:44 GMT 2004

Hi!

I was doing some tests with a samba 3.0.2a server set up to be a wins server
and to do dns proxy, and I have found that when you queried nmbd for a name
ahta was not on wins db or found on DNS, the negative response is cached
either for a really long time or forever, in such a way that even though you
add the name to the DNS, you won't get a positive answer out of nmbd
anymore.

I have tried solving this by lowering the minimum ttl in my soa as well as
soa's ttl, and also using the option "name cache timeout" of samba, setting
it to 0 (no cache) and to low values, but I haven't been lucky with any of
these.

Is this supposed to be like that?
Does anybody have any idea on how to solve this issue?

If this seems a problem and you need more info to try to diagnose it, don0t
hesitate to ask.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net