[Samba] samba is extremly slow! (a bit long)

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Tue Mar 30 15:05:16 GMT 2004

The first thing I would do is rule out a network problem.  Try using FTP or
SCP to copy a file to and from the Samba server from another machine.  If
that's slow, too, you need to check your network for problems.  Incorrect
duplex settings are one possibility.  (A computer set to full-duplex talking
to a half-duplex hub, or a switch set to full-duplex talking to a computer
set to half.  The collisions will only show up on the half-duplex end.)
It's common for a network with a bad cable or other problems to seem to work
fine for moving small files or ping packets around, but to break down under
a heavier load.

> The main problem is when more than one people want to use a
> file it get
> slower and slower and slower... and I don't understand why?

What types of files are you seeing this problem with?  If you're using
shared database type files, like Microsoft Access MDB or Paradox DB files,
you should veto oplocks for those file types.