[Samba] samba is extremly slow! (a bit long)

Preisinger Áron aron at tgi.hu
Tue Mar 30 14:09:13 GMT 2004

Hello Everybody.

First of all sorry for my bed english.

I am in a very big trouble. I migrated our Novell to samba 3.0.2a a week
ago. It works, but it is very-very slow! The novell is on a PII
233Mhz/384MB SDRAM/SCSI2 hdds, the samba is on PIV 2Ghz/1GB DDRRAM/SCSI
UW320 hdds in raid5, and the novell is much-much faster! I have read the
archive for long days, but everything I founded about the this has not
solved my problem.
The main problem is when more than one people want to use a file it get
slower and slower and slower... and I don't understand why?

I applied these registry patches founded in the archive

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"EnableSecuritySignature"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"EnableOplocks"=dword:00000000

but nothing changes.

The smb.conf:

[global]
    dos charset = CP852
    workgroup = TGI_HU
    netbios name = CERBERUS
    server string = TGIhu fileserver
    min passwd length = 7
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    restrict anonymous = 1
    client lanman auth = No
    client plaintext auth = No
    log level = 1
    debug level = 0
    acl compatibility = win2k
    profile acls = no
    time server = Yes
    server signing = no
    change notify timeout = 180
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
    logon script = %u.bat
    logon path =
    logon drive = H:
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 999
    lm announce = Yes
    lm interval = 10
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    wins proxy = Yes
    wins support = Yes
    ldap ssl = no
    message command = /usr/local/bin/LinPopUp
    remote announce = 9.1.1.1
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    template homedir = /home/%U
    admin users = @domadmins, root, aron, szucs
    printer admin = @domadmins, root, aron, szucs
    create mask = 0770
    security mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    directory security mask = 0770
    hide unreadable = Yes
    blocking locks = no

[netlogon]
    path = /var/samba/netlogon
    inherit permissions = Yes
    browseable = No
    root preexec = /usr/bin/gen_logon_script.pl %u %N %m %a %I
    root postexec = rm -f /var/samba/netlogon/%u.bat
    vfs objects = audit

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories Volume
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    browseable = No
    vfs objects = recycle audit
    recycle:keeptree = 1
    recycle:versions = 1

[tgi]
    comment = TGI T Volume
    path = /mnt/server/tgi/T
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    vfs objects = recycle audit
    recycle:keeptree = 1
    recycle:versions = 1

Has anybody any idea? I would be very happy if you can help!

Thank You!
Aron