[Samba] Can't re-add NT box to domain

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 28 02:17:05 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 11:02, Chris Garrigues wrote:
> > From:  Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> > Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:30:43 -0700
> >
> > samba can't operate as a DC in conjunction with Windows based DC's -
> > With samba 3.0 -> 3.0.3pre1 - you can have multiple samba BDC's with a
> > samba PDC but in no other fashion.
>
> So how do I tell the NT4 box that it is *not* a DC?  I don't understand why it
> thinks it is one.
---
You'll know if you double click on the Network icon in the control panel
(or right click Network Neighborhood and choose 'properties'). If there
is a network identification tab which allows you to join the computer to
the domain then it's simply a member server and should be able to join
if you have samba configured properly. If that is not an option, the
choice was made at first boot to make it a domain controller (backup or
primary) and there is no such option since it was determined to be an
integral part of the domain initially.

The archives from 2 or 3 weeks ago suggested a $100 program that you
could buy to de-server it - no knowledge on if/how well it works.

Craig