[Samba] homes on different subnets with smb pdc bdc /ldap, automatic home mapping sporadic failures

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 28 02:11:58 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 07:35, RRuegner wrote:
> Hi Samabatistas,
> I have a ldap smb pdc and a ldap smb bdc in a different subnetc.
> connected via a vpn
> Users work at the place of the pdc have their home and their profile there,
> Users working on the place of the bdc have their home and their profile
> on the bdc.
> I did this with editing their ldap attr. on the pdcs ldap master
> this works like charme, but sometimes
> the automatic home drive mapping fails and i have such entry in the log
> this behavior is not permanent , anybody a idea what might be the failure?
> i recognized the failure mostly appears if a wins proxy on the fire wall
> get restarted is it a thing with wins?
> add info ,no failure with the profiles appear
>
> [2004/03/27 15:09:44, 2] smbd/service.c:make_connection(809)
>    [homes] share not available for this user because it was not found or
> created at session setup time
----
that surely sounds like the problem. I would bet that the same computer
which doesn't get the 'home' share loaded also cannot see the computer
in Network Neighborhood nor could even ping it at that point by pinging
the NETBIOS Name of the 'home' share for the user.

It's easy enough to test - if you create an LMHOSTS file which has the
ip addresses of the PDC & BDC and load it on one of the computers in the
remote location, it will not have trouble finding either one but the
ones machines that don't have this LMHOSTS file are struggling to find
them.

Craig