[Samba] Changing permissions on shared directory

Tony Branco tonyb at nrgind.com
Fri Mar 26 21:05:10 GMT 2004

To Whom it May Concern

I am a linux newbie and need some help with my installation of Samba on
Mandrake 9.2.  Below is a copy of  the smb.conf file

global]

   workgroup = PDC_A
   server string = Samba Server %v
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printer admin = @adm
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   map to guest = bad user
   security = domain
   password server = *
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind separator = +
   winbind use default domain = yes
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no

At the moment we have a NT4.0 server that is our file server as well as
our PDC.  I am trying to introduce the Samba server to take over the
file and print share role. I have managed to set it to to where I can
see both the individual shares as well as the public dir. but at
intermittent times the permissions on the /home/public directory change.
I have to use chmod 777 /home/public to allow users to see the
directory.

How do I stop the permissions changing once I open up that directory for
all users to read and write to it?

Regards

Tony

>From the desk of..