[Samba] "net rpc vampire" case sensitivity problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 26 16:44:20 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 16:47, Ed Ravin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:39:16AM +1100, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> > Interesting. I remember have case sensitivity problems ( among others )
> > when using 'net rpc vampire' with 3.0.1-rc-something.
> > Actually I had such a hard time that I decided to hold off until the
> > process went a little smoother.
> > Yeah I also remember hand-editing /etc/passwd entries ( sometimes
> > unsucessfully - I rooted some guy's account good ! ).
> > Have there been any bug fixes to the 'vampire' function since 3.0.1?
>
> Craig's post suggests that this isn't a bug, just a "difference" between
> Unix and NT.  I suppose you could rename the NT users to all lower case
> before migrating, that should make things go "smoother".
>
> In my case, I really didn't want to migrate all the users, just some
> of them, but "net rpc vampire" doesn't give you a choice, it's all
> or nothing.
>
> Here's a thought: how about an option to the vampire to spit out
> commands to import the users rather than doing it itself.  Then you
> could save the output, edit it if needed for case problems or removing
> users that you don't want to import, then run it.
>
> The only catch is that some of the backend data isn't accessible via
> pdbedit - in particular, you can't provide the password hash or the
> "Unix username".  Easy enough to fix.  It would also be nice if you
> could tell pdbedit not to check for the existence of a Unix user
> before creating an account, i.e. "trust me I'll add it later".
----
Personally, I think this is the best idea of all, but of course, I have
no way of knowing how difficult this would be to accomplish since it is
samba that connects with the net rpc vampire and the concept of putting
the hashed password into a file is not exactly a secure one. Perhaps we
should bugzilla it as a feature request.

Anyway, this is the procedure I used to 'migrate' my /etc/passwd,
/etc/group/ /etc/services /etc/protocols /etc/hosts into ldap and I
found it extremely useful, editable and repeatable which allowed me to
wipe out my ldap db's and start over until I got exactly what I wanted
from the net rpc vampire - MANY MANY tries.

Craig