[Samba] "net rpc vampire" case sensitivity problem

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 25 23:58:50 GMT 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Daniel Kasak wrote:

> Ed Ravin wrote:
>
> >We just migrated a small network from a Win2K PDC to Samba, using
> >"net rpc vampire" into a tdbsam backend on a Samba 3.0.2a Linux box.
> >
> >One of the users, let's call him Jon Harker, had the NT username "JHarker".
> >When we ran  "pdbedit -v jharker", we saw this:
> >
> >   Unix username:        JHarker
> >   NT username:          JHarker
> >
> >Well, that looks wrong - the NT username can be mixed case for all I care,
> >but shouldn't the Unix name be all lower case?
> >
> >We changed jharker's /etc/passwd entry to "JHarker" and he was subsequently
> >able to login.  Since we didn't like that as a fix, we changed /etc/passwd
> >back to all lower case and carefully edited the passdb.tdb in emacs (the
> >binary editor of choice on Unix systems :-) to knock the mixed-case usernames
> >into lower case, which also fixed the problem.
> >
> >Both of these users already had accounts (all lower case) in /etc/passwd
> >before we ran "net rpc vampire".
> >
> >Other than this, the vampire process ran very smoothly.
> >
> >	-- Ed
> >

> Interesting. I remember have case sensitivity problems ( among others )
> when using 'net rpc vampire' with 3.0.1-rc-something.
> Actually I had such a hard time that I decided to hold off until the
> process went a little smoother.
> Yeah I also remember hand-editing /etc/passwd entries ( sometimes
> unsucessfully - I rooted some guy's account good ! ).
> Have there been any bug fixes to the 'vampire' function since 3.0.1?
> While I understand the cause of the case sensitivity problems, I think
> this still needs more attention - perhaps all names should be forced to
> lower case? Lets just say that my previous experience didn't exactly
> inspire confidence in the system I was setting up - hence we are still
> on an NT4 domain controller.
>
> Anyway, since someone else had a 'very smooth' experience, maybe I was
> partly to blame. I'll give it another go when I get more time.

The problem you refer to is not a 'net rpc vampire' issue. This is
specifically an issue pertaining to the host operating system that Samba
is running on.

In the Samba-HOWTO-Collection chapter on Migration I have provided a shell
script that can be used to get around this OS problem. The script is in
Example 12.1, called "smbgrpadd.sh". You can easily craft a similar script
to handle addition of user accounts.

Please let me know if this is not an acceptable solution for you.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org