[Samba] Samba3 PDC + WinXP --> profile not found

Tolmacs Mark tolmi at sch.bme.hu
Thu Mar 25 14:21:30 GMT 2004

Hi!

Sorry for asking that, because I think this error is very frequent, but
I can't solve it. I searched over the Google and mostly the samba
mailing list archives, but I couldn't find anything useful about it.

    Here is the situation: We are using A Samba3 server with LDAP
password backend, configured as WINS and PDC server. We're also using
roaming profiles. And here is the problem! Sometimes users got this
error message from WinXP below. The logon finishes correctly except
that the profile wasn't coped back to the server.

======

Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile
will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of this
error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this
problem persists, contact your network administrator.

 DETAIL - The network name cannot be found.
==========
if I am right, the network name for Windows means NetBIOS name. But I can resolve the NetBIOS name of the server every time it is needed. The other I thought about is that the network name is the user name in the domain. So I checked my config(below), but I think the logon parameters are OK. So I don't know what happened, and this error is very annoying. Every help is appreciated!

Thanks,
	Mark Tolmacs

Ps.: http://home.sch.bme.hu/~tolmika/samba  <== Here you can read a level 10 log when a user log in, and got that annoying message. And the -2.log file contains the full log, with logging out and doing nothing else. Thanks again!
/etc/init.d/samba/smb.conf:
--------------------------
[global]
netbios name = SALETROM
workgroup = INTRANET
encrypt password = Yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.0.3
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 100000
os level = 33
preferred master = yes