[Samba] Windows client using UPPERCASEto connect to Samba 3.02a serve

rrr rrr at superior.co.il
Wed Mar 24 14:44:48 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,
I installed Samba 3.02a server on Fedora Core 1 server .
I have NT :(  as PDC so Samba check Username/Password on this server and I
add a line in smb.conf to add new users to the Unix. All usernames on the NT
domain ar lowercase and I'm using security=domain
While I can map drive from NT/2000/XP workstation I'm not able to connect or
map from Windows 98 clients.
When I'm typing NET USE S: \\samba\testuser on the command prompt I'm
getting this msg on the Windows client:

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>net use s: \\samba\testuser
The password is invalid for \\SAMBA\TESTUSER. For more information, contact
your network administrator.
Type the password for \\PUMA\TESTUSER:

I run smbd -i -d 2 to see what happen on the Linux machine at the same time
in this is the resault:

waiting for a connection
netbios connect: name1=SAMBA            name2=TOSHIBA
netbios connect: local=puma remote=toshiba, name type = 0
setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old re
sources.
error connecting to 192.114.13.16:445 (Connection refused)
error connecting to 192.114.13.16:445 (Connection refused)
make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!
check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [TESTER] -> [TESTER] FAILED
with e
rror NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
Closing connections

I played with 'user level' and 'password level' but the problem still here.
Anyone have any idea how to solve this issue?
I mist to say that I have another Samba server Version 2.0.6 and there it's
working great from both Windows 9x and Win2K/XP.

Here is my GLOBAL smb.conf:
	[global]
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
	# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
	workgroup = D_DOMAIN
	# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
	server string = Puma Samba Server
	;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
	 printcap name = /etc/printcap
	 load printers = yes
	;   printing = bsd
	;  guest account = pcguest
	 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	 max log size = 50
	security = domain
	# Use password server option only with security = server
	 password server = srv1
	# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password
for
	# all combinations of upper and lower case.
	;password level = 16
	;username level = 16
	  encrypt passwords = yes
	;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Thanks for your help
Miki Barzilay
rrr at superior.co.il