[Samba] winbind, getent fails

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue Mar 23 16:19:38 GMT 2004

> I am having a problem that seems to have plagued quite
> a few people on the list,
> yet I have been unable to resolve the issue by making
> any of the suggested changes.

What "suggested changes" have you tried?  Without more info, the

> I am trying to get winbind to work, and have been able
> to get wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g
> to list the users and groups from the NT domain.
> wbinfo -t returns secret is good.
>
> I have shut down the nscd, but this has not helped. I
> am running SuSE Linux Enterprise
> Server 7 with  Samba version 2.2.8a.
>
> I would appreciate any help anyone can provide on this
> issue.

Well, apart from the nscd thing, was adding "winbind" to the passwd
and group lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf suggested?  Was making sure you
did not change the default "winbind enum users = yes" and "winbind
enum groups = yes" settings in smb.conf suggested?  If none of those
worked, depending on how your samba was built/installed, you may also
need something like a "ln -s /lib/libnss_winbind.so
/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2" (use the correct paths for your install).

> Are there any special settings for password or shadow
> files ? A known smb.conf configuration
> that should work ?

Nothing needed in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow.  The commonly suggested
smb.conf's work well.

> Also, do I need to start smbd or just nmbd?

For winbind functionality alone, you don't need to run either one.

Good luck,
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.