[Samba] mixed guest/domain user access to share

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Mar 21 23:16:13 GMT 2004

Matthew Geier wrote:

>  I'm having terrible trouble getting a share that 'anyone' can connect
> to read only with out a password, but selected people who have write
> persmission would log into normally. The machine will have other shares
> that are access by athentication only.

> chopped down testparm output....
>
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = ARTS
>         server string = Arts MultiMedia Storage
>         security = SERVER
>         map to guest = Bad User

  Looks like 'map to guest' doesn't do what I think or is broken.

  smbclient -L theano -U bad-user-name
Password:random
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

  Same command and user name, this time leave the password blank -

smbclient -L theano -U bad-user-name
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[ARTS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2a]

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
         Meta Media St  Disk      High capacity store 1, etc....

  Looks like anon login only works if the password is blank. It won't
work if a password is presented.

  Windows as far as I can tell, will always present a password - the
cached copy of what the user used to log into to the machine/domain. So
a 'guest' user can't actually connect.

  Very soon im going to have to resort to a 'guest' account with a well
known password just to get this thing working, and I would rather not.
It's a gazillion students who need to access this data (read only of
course :-)