[Samba] Load balancing Samba print servers on Solaris 8...is is possible?

Tim timrussell at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 19 17:54:58 GMT 2004

I'll try to keep this short, but feel free to ask for more info if needed.

Basically, we were given two Sun V480 servers and told to make high
availability windows print servers to replace our current config of two windows
2000 clusters (4 Windows 2000 server nodes, 2 in each cluster,
configured "active/active").

Solaris 8 was installed (and preferred over Solaris 9 in our environment). We
then installed Samba 3.02a and cups 1.1.20. Our Domain is a NT 4.0 domain but
most of our member servers and clients are Windows 2000 machines.

Everything works great. Authentication, speed, automatic driver download (point
and print)...We're having fun and it works right now.

However, the clustering is throwing us. We've had some issues with VCS (veritas
cluster server) and were toying with just load balancing. Is this possible?
We've been reading messages about not being able to load balance SAMBA print
servers because of limitations with the SMB/CIFS protocol.

Can anyone shed some light on this? We're listening to all suggestions. Our
goal is to just have HIGH AVAILABILITY samba print servers. Printing is
ridiculous here so we need to be able to recover print jobs.

Thanks-
Tim