[Samba] Samba and Active Directory Permissions

Aden, Steve saden at itscommunications.com
Thu Mar 18 19:01:46 GMT 2004

I have had similar problems. I was able to set permissions on shares
from Windows by adding:

admin users = "DOMAIN_Domain Admins" to my smb.conf file. ( "_" is my
Winbind separator character).

The problem is that once they are set and the everyone group is removed,
the users cannot connect to the share with kerberos authentication.
(They can connect via ip address, which causes samba to use NTLM?
authentication). I always get Access Denied. Setting logging to 10 I can
see the authentication checks in the log, but the user sid captured does
not match the user's actual sid so it doesn't match the sid in the acl.

Hopefully you do not have the same problem. I have had this problem for
over two weeks and haven't been able to solve it. Even on a totally
clean install of everything in my lab including the W2K AD server and
the Samba server.

Steve Aden

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Opinions, conclusions and other information contained in this message that do not relate to official business shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by ITS